A quick bullet point post so that I don’t forget the little things about the race and the weekend… I should have done this after last year’s first half marathon (but since it was the FIRST, it’s definitely more clear in my mind).
- Finishing without as much training!
- Finishing in spite of a sprain less than four days beforehand! (I seriously did not know HOW I was going to do it when I couldn’t bear weight on Thursday.)
- Finishing 8 minutes faster than last year!
- Seeing TNT signs and runners
- Being with my best friends
- Short lines at Disneyland afterwards
- World of Color and Radiator Springs – the parts through the park were SO much better this year!
- Friends on the course cheering us on!
- People in general up early to cheer on the runners.
- Fireworks to start the day!
- Moving up a corral this year.
- Disneyland. Disney. Enough said.
- Certain songs coming on my playlist at just the right moment – We’re Dancing right around mile 12, One Step at a Time after Angel Stadium, the finale from Fantasmic in the last mile, and some BodyFlow at just the right moment to distract myself from running with choreography.
- The finish line!
- McKayla is NOT impressed.
- Don’t trip. Don’t vomit. Don’t die.
- Go Stranger Go!
- Worst Parade EVER
- You look like a hot mess
Lessons Learned & Low Points:
- Train more. Just… train. (The sprained foot was not a direct result of a lack of training this year. It was a misstep on my run.)
- There is A LOT to be said for RICE.
- There is a lot to be said for Group X, teaching, and strength training – I may not have run as much as I should have, but I was still in great shape.
- SORE muscles from lack of training – they’d still be sore, but they wouldn’t be THIS sore.
- Hydrate more (aka don’t forget your water bottle on the run EVER again).
- Rehydrate FASTER. (Run stomach/stomach cramps/headaches are the worst)
- More vaseline/body glide – chafing SUCKS… Better than last year, but still room for improvement.
- Carb loading is good, but not too far out of the realm of your NORMAL diet.
- The Ramada might be out in the future… not a great experience this time. Also, we’ll book the hotel MORE in advance next year.
- Mimi’s Cafe is DEFINITELY out.
- The patio is the best place to sit at Rainforest – no wait!
- Maybe do Disneyland on MONDAY next time.
- Losing a camera sucks (not mine, but a friend’s – with ALL our pre & post-race pictures people should turn in lost items.)
- The horses. Always the horses. Smelly. No offense horses.
- Santa Ana River trail… dull.
- More expensive this year – really Disney?! And you’re still not throwing in a park ticket?!
- Nike+ getting the distance (and as a result pace) wrong AGAIN this year.
All and all? Success. I’m two for two with half marathons. It was a (mostly) magical, wonderful time. (Now if only I could speed up the sore muscle process…) I think round three might be in order.