A bit late… and clearly my blogging skills are lacking. So before I actually finish forgetting everything from the race that happened a month ago…
- FINISHING!! Finishing, finishing, finishing!
- Finishing when it was 77 degrees before the start and 100% humidity.
- Finishing when it was probably almost 90 and about equal humidity at the finish
- Finishing when my training was lacking (again)
- Finishing when I had severe stomach problems at the start
- See a theme?????
- Seeing TNT signs and runners (ALWAYS)
- Being with my best friends
- Discovering Trader Sam’s – Seriously. SERIOUSLY.
- Short lines at Disneyland all day
- World of Color and Radiator Springs
- Baby cow!!!
- People up early to cheer on the runners – spectators make such a huge difference!
- Sponge ice “shower” at mile 6 – loved that spectator!!!
- Fireworks to start the day!
- Disneyland. Disney. Enough said.
- Certain songs coming on my playlist at just the right moment – I still remember hearing I Surrender right at the start and Clarity as I entered Angel Stadium.
- Having only one “I want to skip this song” moment in my playlist
- Running into old friends on the course
- The finish line!
- $175 for a half marathon – $37.50 to go!
- Run! Miley’s twerking!
- Chuck Norris doesn’t believe in running, but he does believe in you.
- I believe in you too Complete Stranger!
- Don’t Stop Believin!
- You still look prettier than a Disney princess!
- Hurry Mommy! I want to go on Pirates.
- Run ALL the miles!
- DLF (Dead Last FInish) > DNF (Did Not Finish) > DNS (Did Not Start) – This was on a shirt.
Lessons Learned & Low Points:
- Train more. Just… train. I didn’t learn this last time.
- There is a lot to be said for Group X, teaching, and strength training – I may not have run as much as I should have, but it could have been worse.
- THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY – OMG
- Stomach issues, serious awful stomach issues
- Finishing slower than last year and officially slower than both years (without the stomach issue bathroom stop, I think I beat the first year)
- Phone dying at Mile 11 – no music in an already tough time! NOOOO.
- SORE muscles from lack of training – they’d still be sore, but they wouldn’t be THIS sore. Stuck with Disney Day Of and it was the right choice (albeit painful)
- Don’t over hydrate (over compensated from last year’s dehydration).
- Did better with pre-race fueling, but I think it may have been a contribution to the stomach issues
- Book the hotel ASAP – Discovery Inn, wow. On the plus, super close and the right price. NO coffee though.
- Eat sooner – it helped so much and we were all more energetic.
- Gym clothes to Disneyland – best ever. Next year, denim shorts are OUT (chafing! owwww!).
- Santa Ana River trail… still.
- More expensive again this year – really Disney?! And you’re still not throwing in a park ticket?!
- The same medal. AGAIN.
All and all? Success. I’m three for three with half marathons. I nearly cried – that finish line was a hard fight. But I did it!
So, who’s ready for round four? Double Dare for 19.3??? We just might.